Short information about company
Small enterprise "Plasma & Ceramic Technologies" Ltd. (PCT Ltd. - VAT reg. no.: LV 40003216429) is a producer of nanosized powders of refractory compounds (oxides, nitrides, carbonitrides et al.) and their multi-component composites by the plasma technique. This technique is developed at our host Institute of Inorganic Chemistry of the Riga Technical University. Production capability - up to 1000 kg per year.
Company founded in 1994. The staff of company is 6 employers. Director - Reinis Drunka, experts - Dr.sc.Ing Eriks Palcevskis and Dr.sc.Ing Ilmars Zalite .
The produced nanopowders were used for manufacturing of advanced ceramics. Such powders (for example, Si3N4, TiN, AlN, Al2O3, ZrO2, Si3N4-SiC, Si3N4-Me2O3, Ti(C,N), AlN-Y2O3, ZrO2-YO3, Al2O3-ZrO2, Al2MgO4 et al.) are characteristic with the specific surface area in the range of 10-90 m2/g and with the particle size in the range of 20-150 nm. The plasma technique allows prepare also nanosized powders with a complicate structure of particles. For example, particles in the form of whiskers, coated nanosized particles, when one chemical compound builds centers of particles and other compound cover the first with a thin layer.
Fields of nanopowders application
- advanced ceramics,
- structure toughened ceramics,
- ceramics of high thermal conductivity,
- ceramic cutting tools,
- elements of fuel cells,
- metal matrix composite,
- modification of metal structure and polymers,
- electrochemical coatings with nanoparticles.
- 1.08.2001. – 31.12.2004. Innovation project "TRANSNANOPOWDER", supported by the EC (contract No: IPS-2000-00098). The aim of this project is to reach stable quality (according Quality management systems - Requirements ISO 9001:2000) nonoxide nano-powders produced in a technical scale plasma synthesis.
- 1.08.2004. – 31.07.2006. CRAFT project “NANOCERAM” under the Sixth Framework Program (contract No: COOP-CT-2004-507799). The aim of project is development of cutting tools and miniaturised parts with complex geometry based on nano powders.
- 1.09.2005. – 28.02.2008. CRAFT project “Customised Nanocomposites Based on Rubber Matrices for High Demand Applications” "NANORUB" under the Sixth Framework Program (contract No: COOP-CT-2005- 018003).
- 1.09.2006. – 31.08.2009. STREP project “Integration of two-component ceramic injection moulding for large-scale production of novel multifunctional ceramic components for automotive and railway applications” (CarCIM).
- 2003. - 2012. EUREKA project E! 3033 "BIONANOCOMPOSIT". New bioactive nanostructured composite implant materials will be developed for human bone substitute. Development is based on the plasma processing of ceramic nanopowders and chemical technology of production of nanosized hydroxyapatite powder.
- 1.01.2012. Collaborative project "LONGLIFE" under the Seventh Framework Program (grant agreement No: 280741) started. The aim of project is development of advanced multifunctional zirconia ceramics for long-lasting implants